Hey there! A while ago, I talked about what it means to be all about that God-life. I mentioned that it meant living consciously for the glory of God, being bold about the gospel, and proclaiming your faith.
Today, I’d like to talk about godly conduct and what it means to me.
In today’s world I see a lot of christians who feel so liberal that they identify with some ungodly ideologies, character traits, societal trends, etc. The truth is, it is quite hard to put these conducts into a short list, however, I have summarised them into ten.
But first, I’m going to start by explaining the meaning of godliness and godly conduct.
Godliness is the state of living a god-like lifestyle. In other words conforming to the laws and wishes of God according to the Holy Bible. Conduct on the other hand is a person’s behavioural pattern or manner of acting. Hence, godly conduct refers to a behavioural pattern or lifestyle expected from a born again christian.
I know for some of us who have been christians for a long time, we probably have had enough of this from Sunday school and bible study classes, however, we all know that we never stop learning, for the same reasons we never stop preaching the gospel.
Here are 10 ungodly conducts every born again christian should consciously live by:
- Stop lying: Lying goes beyond lying about where you are going to or saying you didn’t take something you know you took. It is also living a fake lifestyle; projecting yourself as something you are not for selfish reasons. Aside from the adverse effects of lying in our earthly life, the bible records that the devil is the father of all liars and as such, when lying is your lifestyle, you are acknowledging the devil as your father.
- Flee from sexual sin: These include, fornication, adultery, orgies, pornography, indulging in an unnatural sexual activity like sleeping with animals, pedophilia, rape, womanizing (or manizing… I came up with that one), etc. Flee! Avoid situations, relationships, discussions, etc. that put you in a position that could lead to sin. The bible encourages us to “flee” from sexual sin because “I believe” it is one of the most difficult sins to avoid. Hence, it is better to stay away from tempting situations.
- Stop Back-biting: So you know that situation where you go behind people’s back to tell all sorts of lies or plan and plot for selfish benefits, that’s back-biting and it is ungodly.
- Stop sowing seeds of discord: This refers to when you intentionally pitch people against each other to create division, enmity, or favoritism. I’ve seen people do this in church, in families, in workplaces; politicians use it against the masses like when they pitch tribes, religions, and groups like the LGBT against others to create chaos or to achieve a selfish goal. This shouldn’t be the conduct of a believer.
- Drunkenness and wild partying: Do not be drunk with wine, but be filled with the Holy Ghost. Do not drink wine in excess to the extent of not being aware of your environment… it usually doesn’t result in the best results. Wild partying also exposes you as a Christian to ungodly situations that may be difficult to get away from. These are times when you hear Christians say things like, “I was drunk, there was nothing I could do.” “I didn’t know when it happened”, etc.
- Clubbing: I know many people won’t agree with me on this, and honestly, I found out about five years ago that a lot of Christians found it offensive when you say clubbing is wrong. My question has always been, what, in a club gives God glory? From the ladies dressing overly sexy to the scenery: it is the perverts, drunks, and all manner of ungodly people who gather there for numerous ungodly reasons… oh! did I mention the music too… nothing! Absolutely nothing gives God glory in a club, so what can a Christian be doing there?
- Dress modestly: Ok. This cannot be over-emphasized. Honestly, I am tired of seeing Christian girls’ breasts while they are clothed… obviously not fully clothed. Now, this is how pop culture and societal trends influence you and it is very easy to get carried away by the half-nude and/or indecent dress trends if you are not living consciously. In my thoughts, I think God will prefer you to put the breasts back in the clothes. And decent dressing applies to men as well, though we know men almost don’t have a choice
- Stop Using Ill-gotten Money As Seeds: So a man of God once said, if you give ill-gotten money as seed or offering in the church, it will be used for work in God’s house, but you won’t get the blessings therein. Now you can choose to believe it or not, but one thing is certain, NO ONE FORCES YOU TO GIVE in church. Even if you find yourself in a situation where you feel coerced, you still have a choice to say yes or no. So embezzling your company’s funds, sleeping around, and indulging in ungodly activities to meet up with your financial commitments in the church is ungodly. No one sent you and I’m certain God is clapping for you or he’s going to tell you, “Well done! My child.” on judgment day.
- Stop joining a church for the wrong motive: Do you remember the Pharisees and Sadducees in the scriptures that will hang around Jesus, asking ridiculous and incriminating questions just to hear what he will say or to get him in trouble… yeah! well, you are no different from them if you do this. I’ve heard people join a church “because they have plenty of fine girls.” “to find a husband” or really mischievous reason like “to record the teachings of the preachers” for social media or blogs… for more views or for public opinions… you know, like all those church and pastor hating individuals who believe God has called them to ‘unbrainwash’ us believers in Christ.
- Stop being unforgiving: In my lifetime, I have discovered that forgiveness is one of the hardest things to do and our Lord Jesus Christ knew so that is why he admonished us to forgive people sent times seven times. Now, who could wrong you that number of times? I have had my fair share of being hurt in my lifetime that, I totally understand how difficult it can be to forgive people who wronged you. For Christians, it is more important for us than it is for the one who wronged us. More so, unforgiveness can lead even the holiest Christian to hell… this is the reason Christ shed his blood and died, so, if he died for our sins, forgiving someone shouldn’t be impossible for us. My tip for forgiveness would be, when it hurts so much, pray and pray and pray for grace and strength to forgive until you can feel the hurt no more.
My tip for forgiveness would be, when it hurts so much, pray and pray and pray for grace and strength to forgive until you can feel the hurt no more.
In conclusion, these are not the only sins in the world, however, when you are born again, most times you don’t indulge in most sins, but so many Christians unconsciously normalise some of the conducts mentioned above, forgetting or in self-denial that they are not right in the eyes of God. I’ve seen Christians being very vengeful, lie in the most indemnifying manner, become live-in lovers, commit adultery without remorse; generally live a very canal and world lifestyle. Sometimes, you can’t separate them from their unbelieving friends and relatives.
These are not the characters of the Holy Spirit nor the fruits of righteousness. We are to work out our salvation with fear and trembling, hence, you have to consciously live a godly life. Reject sin. Flee from sin. Rebuke the devil and he will flee!
Thanks for sticking to the end of this post, if you enjoyed it or learned something, please like, share, and drop your thoughts in the comments section.