For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality;1 Thessalonians 4:3
While it may seem like I’m unconventional and archaic with my thoughts on the benefits of abstinence/celibacy, it will shock you to find out that there are still numerous people who hold up this value. Yes. It is a value to keep yourselves till marriage. Society has so normalized fornication and adultery that people find it hard to call them what they are. Despite the numerous dangers of sexual immorality in the world today, people are constantly being programmed to tend towards having sex outside wedlock. However, we are not ignorant of the devices of the devil. he has been a liar from the beginning and will always be. This is why it is important to keep your mind stayed on God’s word. focus on what the word of God says so that you get tossed about by every wind of doctrine (or societal pressure). This post serves as a reminder of the amazing benefits of abstinence and celibacy: the amazing benefits of delaying sex till marriage.
Abstinence/Celibacy: 8 Benefits of Delaying Sex till marriage
I made this list based on my personal experience and research findings:
- No worries about the dangers that come with sex outside wedlock: From unwanted pregnancy to STDs, abstaining from sex while dating/courting just eliminates this. It just makes life easy whether you are in a relationship or not.
- It hurts less when it doesn’t work: While I’ve heard so much about soul-ties, I don’t really believe in them. However, I know that there is a deep part of you that is shared with your partner when you become sexually intimate. That part is not good or bad, however, it weaves you into this web that makes break-ups one of the most painful experiences you could ever have. These kinds of break-ups that mess up people’s heads, etc. I’m not trying to undermine the feelings of abstinent people who may have gone through a break-up, I’m just saying… the hurt and ability to heal from heartbreaks is easier when you are not sexually involved.
- Connecting with someone without sex is just divine: yeah. If you are able to love and care for someone without sex and other ulterior motives, then you know you have truly won.
- Confidence: There is a level of confidence established knowing someone loves you for you. This goes for both partners.
- Focus: It is easier to stay focused on your dreams and ambitions. Sex can be a major distraction as you may spend a lot of time worrying about your partner cheating on you or not.
- It boosts trust: It is easier to trust your partner regarding several aspects of life like; finances, well-being, even sexual health. Trust also draws you closer.
- It promotes intimacy between partners, which is important for the future when they are both ready for sex.
- You have a right-standing with God: Abstinence/celibacy keeps your spirit, soul, and body pure. It usually makes room for the Holy Spirit to fully work in and through you. This is the best time to build a relationship with God. This is why the devil tries as much as possible to make it seem like sexual immorality is normal ok.
The truth is that the instructions in the word of God are for our own good; be it to keep us safe or to enable us to build a better relationship with God. tenets of the Christian faith will always be of benefit to you so long as you are only concerned about God’s opinion of you and not being accepted by man.
Other posts you may like: